Saturday, February 8, 2020

Meraki Meeting Notes - 2020-02-11 - tentative agenda

PCD Meraki Meeting February 11, 2020 - members welcome! Tentative agenda.


This coming Tuesday (2/11/20)  PCD members Meraki at MaineTaiji & Qigong
studio, 7-9 PM.  500 Forest Ave, Portland, rear entrance.

Please arrive a few minutes early so we can start on time.

Meraki uses the Formal Consensus process outlined here.  Please review:
  http://www.learningmethods.com/pdf/on%20conflict%20and%20consensus.pdf

As well, please advise Secretary of any /continuing/ items that belong on
the agenda, eg tabled items.

Oracle, PCD Secretary
secretary@portlandcommunitydance.com
<-- br="" note="" please="">802.279.3088


---------------------------------------
***  THE AGENDA  ***
     2020-02-11


INGATHERING

  Filling of roles
    * facilitator
    * timekeeper
    * vibe checker
    * ingatherer

  The ingathering.


INTRODUCTIONS


HOW WE ROLL
  A brief look at Meraki's process.


PROCESS ITEM
  Oracle would like to talk a bit about "cycle", notice, proposed agenda, etc...


MINUTES
  Review and approve minutes from previous Meraki.
    https://pcdmeetings.blogspot.com/


AGENDA ITEMS
  These items will be reordered at the start of the meeting and estimate time assigned.

  * Emergency items if any.

  * Proposal, returning: Consent (Kendall) - "Dance with anyone" bracelets.
     Discussion  tabled in January for more participation.  Surprisingly juicy.
      2020-01-14_consent_invite_bracelet.pdf
      2020-02-11_consent_invite_followup.pdf

  * Proposal, report: DJ Committee (Jason) - hardware to record all dance sets.
    Approved, received.  Apparent technical issues.
      2020-01-14_dj_proposal_recorder.pdf

      2020-01-14_dj_proposal_recorder.pdf

  * Proposal: Wiz (Tasha) - Wiz to send periodic emails to membership re topics
    around dance.
      2020-02-11_wiz_email_to_membership.pdf

  * PreProposal, discussion: Wiz wants a small slush fund for purchase of TP,
    paper towels, etc...  Building maintenance is unresponsive.  Best way to
    handle?

  * Report: Waiver (Mellen)
    Approved Jan, 18+ fine, under 18 (but still 13+) signed by parent and must
    be accompanied by a guardian.  YES BY CONSENSUS, Jan Meraki.  Mellen
    plans to bring revised form and it will be posted here if available before
    meraki meeting.
      2020-01-14_minors_at_dance.pdf
      2020-02-11_minors_at_dance.pdf (if available)

  * Discussion: Finance (John) - excessive reserve funds.  John recommends
    simply removing 11k internally decided limit for now.

  * Report, capacity (Jason) - review report from Capacity committee and
    powerpoint.
      2019-01-30_capacity_report.pdf
      2019-01-30_capacity_jason_oliver.pdf





ITEMS NOT ON AGENDA


ITEMS CURRENTLY TABLED
  This is incomplete list and not scheduled for discussion unless....

    * Website (Nicole)


NEXT MERAKI
  Setting of next Meraki


EVALUATION


OUTGATHERING

  Outgathering


ADJOURNMENT


###

Meraki Meetig Notes - 2020-01-14

***  THE AGENDA  ***
     2020-01-14


INGATHERING

  Filling of roles
    * facilitator - Lindy
    * timekeeper - Jason
    * vibe checker - Kiara
    * ingatherer - Jason

  The ingathering.

Introductions

ATTENDING
jason
kiara
kendall
tree
john
lindy
oracle
   

HOW WE ROLL
  A brief look at Meraki's process.

PROCESS ITEM
  Lindy???
  Oracle can talk a bit about "cycle"

John - wants to explore the thumbs up thumbs down/fleshing out disagreements.


MINUTES
  Review and approve minutes from previous Meraki.
    https://pcdmeetings.blogspot.com/

*** MINUTES APPROVED


AGENDA ITEMS
  These items will be reordered at the start of the meeting.

    * Emergency items if any.  (None)

(20 min) * Proposal: Consent (Kendall) - "Dance with anyone" bracelets.
       https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_1xQ4_m0zKQfxZ35CTZ2Sp5XTR8870S0/view?usp=sharing

Kendall (Neil and Dierdre) - Bright pink and invite.  Wide open gesture.  "Open to invitation",
  for 1 MONTH.  Might be helpfule for newbies.
  John - not everyone knows what bracelets are for.
  Tree - "Ask me"
  Kiara - likes the direct "share dance with me today"
  John - in conjunction with solo or replacing - doesn't like policy-on-the-wrist
  Jason - w/John, but also good for newbies
  Mellen - still uncomfortable dancing with many!
  Kiara - what would it impede trying it?
  Oracle - try it for a month, why not?
  Tree - diversity suggests the bracelet

*** TABLED - for more participants.  Surprisingly juicy. 

(10)  * Proposal: DJ Committee (Jason) - hardware to record all dance sets.
       https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L9cOJCW7R-o6BwfkkUSkFCL07DEmnGDC/view?usp=sharing
      lives at Ballroom

*** YES BY CONSENSUS  up to $300 for the purchase of 1

(20) * Proposal: Thwiz (Jason) - 4 MONTH TRIAL of 2nd Friday dance. - review at month 3
       https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aqqF7Zw_1gYWC6RLqU19SvnX_XbAZTri/view?usp=sharing
  John - make sure reports get to John
  Tree - wants reports too - reports is a different topic
  Jason/Kendall - chem-free - keep an eye on it.  "Just as a reminder..."

*** YES BY CONSENSUS

(10) * Discussion: Waiver (Mellen)
Open vs 18+ or what?  In any case gotta be with parent.
Kendall - parent must sign form, even if kids go with another parent
Tree - to discuss All Family dance more specifically later
Jason - just skip to 18+

*** 18+ fine, under 18 (but still 13+) signed by parent and must
*** be accompanied by a guardian.  (Like a bus school trip.)
*** YES BY CONSENSUS

(5)    * Discussion: Finance (John) - excessive reserve funds.
  7-11k guardrails
  Kiara - a free special event/dance
  John - could also remove the 11k for now

(5)    * Discussion: Bylaws (John) - make officers calendar year positions?
  Tree - allows for transition
  Mellen - ditto
 
   

ITEMS NOT ON AGENDA

(10) * Discussion: Capacity (Lindy) - Sunday seems maybe overcrowded
  Tree - if like last Sunday, can't dance there
  Jason - will send out ppt
  Kiara - a lot for her, pining for less
  Mellen - crowded, might limit attendance
  Lindy - crowded, high
  John - very crowded  (zone contact from other dance, etc...)
  Oracle - crowded - whatever "solutions" changes container

*** NO ACTION - FURTHER DISCUSSION REQUIRED

(5)    * Discussion: Meraki (Jason) - Meraki use of space OK (He lost track)

*** YES BY CONSENSUS

(5)    * Discussion: DJ (Mellen) - Mixer equipment - DJs will put together a
        proposal.

ITEMS THAT DID NOT COME UP
   * Discussion: All Ages (Marin) - Moving into little from at Ballroom
   * Discussion: Couches (Dierdre) - couches for Ballroom?


CURRENTLY TABLED AND NOT DISCUSSED
  This is incomplete list and not scheduled for discussion unless....

    * Website (Nicole)

NEXT MERAKI
(5)  Setting of next Meraki  Feb 11, 2020


EVALUATION

Kendall - happy we moved so quickly
John - we need to allow time for evaluation
Lindy - too stressed doing facilitation, stack, moving along
Oracle - start on time

OUTGATHERING

  Outgathering - Kiara


ADJOURNMENT

###

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Meraki Meeting Notes - January 14, 2020 - Tentative Agenda

PCD Meraki Meeting January 14 - members welcome! Tentative agenda.


This coming Tuesday (1/14/20)  PCD members Meraki at MaineTaiji & Qigong
studio, 7-9 PM.  500 Forest Ave, Portland, rear entrance.

Please arrive a few minutes early so we can start on time.

Meraki uses the Formal Consensus process outlined here.  Please review:
  http://www.learningmethods.com/pdf/on%20conflict%20and%20consensus.pdf

As well, please advise Secretary of any /continuing/ items that belong on
the agenda, eg tabled items.  Oracle wants to get a list.

Oracle, PCD Secretary
cfm@dryki.net (mailto:cfm@dryki.net)
802.279.3088


---------------------------------------
***  THE AGENDA  ***
     2020-01-14


INGATHERING

  Filling of roles
    * facilitator
    * timekeeper
    * vibe checker
    * ingatherer

  The ingathering.


MINUTES
  Review and approve minutes from previous Meraki.
  https://pcdmeetings.blogspot.com/


HOW WE ROLL
  A brief look at Meraki's process.


AGENDA ITEMS
  These items will be reordered at the start of the meeting.

    * Emergency items if any.

    * Proposal: DJ Committee (Jason) - hardware to record all dance sets.
       https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L9cOJCW7R-o6BwfkkUSkFCL07DEmnGDC/view?usp=sharing

    * Proposal: Thwiz (Jason) - 4 month trial of 2nd Friday dance.
       https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aqqF7Zw_1gYWC6RLqU19SvnX_XbAZTri/view?usp=sharing

    * Proposal: Consent (Kendall) - "Dance with anyone" bracelets.
       https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_1xQ4_m0zKQfxZ35CTZ2Sp5XTR8870S0/view?usp=sharing

    * Preliminary: Finance (John) - excessive reserve funds.

    * Preliminary: Bylaws (John) - make officers calendar year positions?


ITEMS NOT ON AGENDA

...


CURRENTLY TABLED
  This is incomplete list and not scheduled for discussion unless....

    * Website (Nicole)

    * Waiver form, under age (Oracle, Mellen)


EVALUATION


ADJOURNMENT

  Setting of next Meraki

  Outgathering

  Adjourn

###

Meraki Meeting Notes - December 08, 2019 Annual Membership Meeting

2019 Annual Meeting
Portland Community Dance
2019-12-12

The Annual Meeting Committee:
  Kiara
  Nicole
  Oracle

PCD membership gathered at Portland Ballroom after Sunday dance Dec 12, 2019
for the Annual Membership Meeting and election of officers for 2020.

Of PCD's approximately 130 members, there about 40 members attended.  Well
above quorum.  Food and drink were provided.  The meeting started about 12:45.

The meeting ran in the same Formal Consensus model Meraki currently uses.
Roles:

  Ingatherer    Martin
  Facilitator    DebG
  Stackkeeper   John
  Timekeeper    Lindy/Mellen
  Vibechecker   KariP

We determined the agenda.
  Ingathering
  Short Committee reports
  Finance
  Discussion of Survey
  Election of new officers
  Evaluation
  Adjourn

INGATHERING

Martin lead us in the Ingathering.


SHORT COMMITTEE REPORTS

There were short committee reports, mostly around what does this
committee do and who is on it:

Oracle gave a quick overview of the Formal Consensus process.

All Ages Dance - currently happening so Marin was not present.  Deb
filled in.

Capacity - Jason outlined.  Jason, Jenna, Kendall, Oracle.  How to
talk about capacity, not to /find/ space.

Consent - Neil - Unclear the current membership.  Interested?  See
Kendall.

DJ - Mellen.  All DJs on this committee automatically.  Music,
format, container.

Meraki - Lindy spoke of PCD's steering committee.  Open to all
members.

New Year's Eve - Blair, Coby.

Racial Equity - Kellie.

Spring Retreat - KariP.

Thwiz - Jason spoke for group that organizes 4th Thu dance: DebG,
Jason, Keiko, Oracle

Wiz - Tasha spoke for group that organizes regular Sun dance: Blair,
KariP, Jimmy, Lori, Tasha, Tim.


FINANCE COMMITTEE

Finance - John speaks for John, Kiara, Mellen.  Reports on finances.
PCD is healthy.


HISTORY

The year in review: where PCD has gone (Nicole)


RECENT SURVEY

Deb relinquished facilitator role to Lindy to discuss the recent survey.


ELECTION OF OFFICERS

DebG took back facilitator role.  Those nominated by the Annual Meeting
Committee: Blair Fridgen (Pres), Theresa "Tree" Tenney as Treasurer, and
Chris "Oracle" Miller as Secretary.  The members vote on each
individually and all are elected for the next year.

CORRECTION - per Bylaws, takes effect immediately.

EVALUATION

We discussed how the Annual Meeting felt, how our ability to work
together has improved over the past couple of years.  A comment on how
we seem to have "nailed" the Quaker meeting process!


OUTGATHERING

KariP lead us in a moment to recenter.

ADJOURN

Around 2:30.

###

Thursday, November 21, 2019

Meraki Meeting Notes - November 12, 2019

Nov 12, 2019 Meraki Meeting Minutes

Agenda

·      Annual Meeting, Dec 8th - Proposal for meeting format here
·      New Years Day Dance DONE
·      PCD survey (Deb via Mellen)
·      Proposal for Meraki Template Structure follow-up? TABLED
·      Facebook page – admins (Kiara)
·      Age of consent (Oracle and Mellen) TABLED
·      How do we expire committees (Oracle) 
·      Website access (Oracle)
·      Clarification about time for dance (Tasha)
·      Wiz meeting update (Kari)

Attendance

Oracle, John, Kiara, Nicole, Mellen, Lindy, Tasha, Kari

Roles

Facilitator – John
Timekeeper – Lindy
Ingathering – Kari
Vibechecker – Kiara
Notestaker - Tasha

Annual meeting

Officers

President
Blaire agreed to be president!!
Requested support from previous presidents. 
Does he want to be off the Wiz? It’s up to him.
Treasurer
Kiara has spoken with someone who is interested. She will discuss the full range of responsibilities: delegating, counting money, and making deposits. Also, treasurer is a board member so is responsible for making Meraki decisions, if need be. 
John will continue in his role as bookkeeper and is willing to act as treasurer, if needed. 
Secretary
Oracle is willing to be secretary. His platform is that he will train others to be secretary. 😊
We just need to vote in officers for the annual meeting, and roles can be delegated after the fact.
YAHOO!!!

Annual meeting format

Food
Nicole said we would provide snacks for meeting, so she’s requesting money. Meraki agreed to $200 - $300. 
Nicole, Kari, and Kiara will take on the job of getting simple snacks, finger food. 
We will go straight from dance to the meeting and provide snacks to encourage people to stay. We want as many people participating as possible. It’s not meant to be a social event. 
Roles
·      Deb will facilitate
·      Kari will be vibekeeper
·      Martin will do ingathering
·      Lindy will be timekeeper, Mellen is backup
·      We probably don’t need a stackkeeper, John will check with Deb to see if we need one
Regalia
Proposal to abandon it. Not all agreed.
Proposal to take on finding regalia. Kiara and Tasha will take this on. 
Committees
Each committee will identify itself with a brief description. 
Time
12:45 – 2:00
Who can attend?
Do you have to be a member to attend? Yes, but if someone wants to attend and isn’t a member, ask them to sign up on the spot!

Timing of dance

Wiz received several questions in the suggestion box asking when dance is officially supposed to end, including circle, because it seems like it differs depending on the DJ. 
The expected time is 10:15 – 12:15, so closing circle should be wrapped up by 12:15. 
We have the space until 12:45.
Mellen: Everyone understands this is the timing, but some DJs are being inconsistent. There’s a DJ meeting coming up so she’ll clarify this with the DJs. It should be a 1:50 minute set. 
It’s hard to get people out of the space by 12:45. 
We need to clarify at closing circle that everyone needs to leave the building by 12:45.
Mellen will add it to the weekly announcement that 12:45 is the ending time for us to leave the building. 
Wiz will announce this at closing circle. 
And if dance starts late, then dance should end at the normal time.

Website

Oracle has tried to get stuff about Thurs dance on the website and gave up. 
Chloe is in charge of the website but it hasn’t been actively updated. 
Platform is WIX.
DJ form is broken. Maybe?
John has concern about “open access” to the website. It should only be open to a few trusted people. 
Proposal: We need a new website administrator. Kiara suggests that we have a committee of 2-3 people. 
Lindy and Nicole said they’d help getting the website committee going. Nicole will talk to Chloe about allowing others admin permission. 
We agreed that there’s no need to keep the calendar up to date. 

Facebook

Kiara noticed that the PCD fanpage has postings that are not PCD. The PCD fan page should be for PCD announcements only.
There’s also a PCD groupwhere we can share non-PCD events. 
The trouble is that if you share something from the PCD group and you are an admin of the PCD fan page, then it gets shared from the fan page, which is confusing.
There seem to be a lot of admins of the PCD fan page, including a lot of DJs, and they don’t need to be. 
Mellen is responsible for posting weekly updates to the PCD fan page. 
Proposal: Narrow down the list of admins for the PCD fan page. 
Mellen will take this on and post on both groups that the PCD group is where you can post non-PCD stuff. 

Wiz update

Kari: We have meetings first Sunday of the month.
Wiz members: Blaire, Tim, Jimmy, Kari, Tasha
We have a new member: Lori Hartley.
The bathroom signs need to come down at the end of dance. The Wiz has agreed to take them down. The signs go into the greeter bag. 
We also need to take down the sign from the small room about no talking.
We talked about having quarterly potlucks. 
We clarified how to handle dance cancellation. We will decide by 8:00 am and post it on the FB page and change the message on the PCD phone.
For Thurs dance, they will call off dance by 12:00 and do the same update on the phone and FB page.
Greeters have been showing up. Yay!!

Age of consent

This has been tabled. 
John: We have to print a new batch of release forms, so let’s not print too many until this has been resolved.

Survey

Survey results have been tabulated. 
We will cover the highlights of the survey at annual meeting and put it in the meeting minutes.
Specific survey comments will not be made public. 
Proposal: Meraki will take up the specific survey comments at our January meeting. 
At the annual meeting, we can open up the floor for comments on the survey. We will add this to the agenda that will be posted ahead of time. 

How do we expire committees?

Oracle: We have committee that are no longer active, so how do we expire them?
If there is a committee that doesn’t want to say anything at the annual meeting, does that mean it’s dead? E.g., racial equality, consent committee
We can let it organically die if it’s no longer active.
We need to consider what to do if new issues come up related to a dead committee, e.g., consent.
Proposal: Let’s have a formal process for sunsetting committees and discuss this at the January Meraki meeting. 

Proposals for next meeting

John: Wants to formally check in with people about how they are feeling about a vote at Meraki for consensus, and review the bi-laws to see if they need to be modified around consensus voting. 

Next meeting

Tuesday January 14
Venue: Deb or Mellen

Proposed agenda

Proposal: New website administrator. (Kiara, Lindy, Nicole)
Proposal: Narrow down the list of admins for the PCD fan page. (Mellen)
Proposal: Discuss specific survey comments. (Deb)
Proposal: Discuss a formal process for sunsetting committees. (Oracle)
Proposal: Age consent (Mellen and Oracle)


Monday, November 11, 2019

Meraki Meetings Notes - October 8th, 2019


Meraki Meetings Notes - October 8th, 2019

Present
Kiara, Oracle, Mellen, Blair, Martin, John, Parks, Keri, Jenna

Roles

·               Facilitator: John
·               Timekeeper: Mellen
·               Vibe-checker: Keri
·               Ingathering: Martin
·               Hat of process: Oracle

Agenda

  1. Proposal for Meraki template structure 
  2. DJ notes on music selection “DJ manifesto”
  3. Gender neutral bathroom update
  4. Age of consent for dance 
  5. NYE dance 
  6. PCD Survey update 
  7. Annual meeting + Officer recruiting 
  8. Volunteer for 2ndThursday dance


1. Proposal for Meraki template structure – 2 minutes
·      To be continued, Oracle and John will follow-up

2. DJ notes on music selection “DJ manifesto” – 5 minutes
    • Parks: interested in having Manifesto published on PCD site... maybe before or after DJ feedback is submitted
    • Conclusion:
      • Will check with DJs on having it posted online

3. Gender neutral bathroom update
    • Parks update:
      • Signs are up, only feedback positive thus far, welcomes more. Wondering about who will be responsible for putting up signs each week
    • Discussion
      • Suggestion backdoor include a sign as well because it has dim light
      • Keri Confirming Wiz can put them up and down
  • Conclusion:
    • Wiz will ensure signs are put up each week  


4. Age of consent for dance
·      Mellen
o   Consent for minors topic still ongoing, haven’t pushed forward as conversations at Meraki have gone in different directions
·      Discussion
o   We do have insurance for liability
o   Under 18 have guardian sign it
o   Children under 16 shouldn’t be on own, would be nice to state that
o   Idea:    
§  Rewrite for 13+ with parent/guardian and sign
§  Signature over 18 as well required
o   Kiara suggest subcommittee 
·      Proposal
o   Create a subcommittee to discuss
§  Mellen and Oracle

5. NYE Updates
·      Update from Blair
o  NY day is day rate (225/hr) and NYE available larger cost (1200 total)
·      Discussion:
o  NY day seems interesting as well, Deb ran short poll and some interest in day
o  NYE is significant amount of effort to take on
o  Weather and other commitments for NYE always have chance at harming attendance. Finding DJs can be hard, too
o  NY day everyone has off
o  Chem-free event is nice 
o  Idea to have it free! Relaxed 
o  Time of NYday dance discussed, 10:15 or pushed back? Most people indifferent
o  More time in morning may be nice  
·      Proposal:
o  NYday dance instead of NYE approved!
o  DJ committee to determine who can do it
o  10:15am NY Day dace -Vote approved

6. PCD Survey update
·      Mellen: 
o  Survey ready to go, beta testing is complete. Looking for approval 
·      Discussion:
o  Question on publishing results, Ans: results not planned to be published
o  Free dance in exchange for survey could be told to greeter instead of making burden on dancer to print out
o  Question: Is survey for Members or All Dancers?
o  Result notes can be shared in annual meeting
o  Members-only could be best to cut out non-committed folks
o  Results of survey received by Deb and she will handle responses
·      Proposal:
o  Send survey to general list with all folks
o  Deb to collect results
o  Free dance for filling out

7. Annual meeting + Officer recruiting
·       Oracle update:
o  Kiara Nicole and Oracle met
o  Date:
§  December 8thwill start after dance 
o  Officer recruitment 
§  Requesting help for everyone 
o  Annual meeting will be run in same way, each committee make a statement regarding what they are about and who is on it, i.e. DJ committee, Wiz, etc.
·       Discussion
o  Ideas on filling roles by promoting video content or email
o  Important to identify prospects ahead of time to vet and gauge interest
o  Treasurer role discussed 
·       Conclusion
o  Nicole will be sending out email with description of roles and responsibilities to be shared with folks to help with recruitment
o  Everyone will think about recruitment efforts
o  Keri will be vibe checker @ meeting and will help with recruitment

8. Volunteer for 2ndThursday dance
·      Martin update:
o  Person would like to provide $100 for 2ndThursday if needed
·      Discussion:
o  Thursday dance is net even or slightly profitable
o  Dedicated volunteers is also important to consider
o  Availability of space and DJs is also factor
o  Many pieces outside of funding that would be needed to support

Next meeting:                                                         
·      11/12